Our highly acclaimed design team is frequently asked by the media and clients for their thoughts about the most interesting and popular trends in remodeling and design. Each year, we share a roundup of what’s hot in the design and remodeling industry. When you’re planning a whole home remodel, it’s important to choose visual themes that make sense for your personal tastes, needs and desires for your space. That said, it’s always fun to follow trends and see which ones you might like! Here are our design team’s picks for the top trends this year:
- Living Walls: Breathe a little easier with these low-maintenance, indoor vertical plant gardens. Living walls create a bold statement and reduce stress while purifying the air.
- Textured Natural Woods: Rustic woods made a splash in 2014 and now homeowners are exploring ways to use natural woods even more throughout their homes. Reclaimed woods are especially popular, giving a more organic look to kitchens, accent walls and home furnishings
- Vintage Motifs: Vintage motifs are making a comeback this year, particularly paired with bold patterns, graphics and bright colors.
- Open Shelving: This year homeowners are opting to show off their plates and glasses with open shelving instead of traditional cabinets.
- Organic Elements: Organic elements make interiors feel fresh and full of life. “Shapes inspired by nature,” “living walls,” and “bringing the outside in” are some of the top buzz phrases for 2015.
- Black as a Statement Color: Black is often used as an accent color in home design but this year black is taking center stage. Prepare to see black used as a statement color in kitchen cabinets and tiles.
- Copper and Gold Accents: Say goodbye to silver and nickel; copper and gold elements are taking over! Pops of metal bring a glamorous touch to a space and are perfect when balanced with neutral palettes.
- Modern Touches on Hand Painted Tiles: Hand painted tiles are moving away from the traditional terracotta styles that have been popular in the past. Look for hand painted tiles with bold patterns and subtle colors for a modern spin.
- Bold Wallpaper and Fabric Patterns: Unlike decades ago, the new wallpapers have improved dramatically and are designed for both easy application and removal. Floral motifs, geometric prints and photographic images will be hot trends in 2015, continued from last year.
- Water Saving Fixtures: With much of the country still in a major drought, many homeowners are opting for water-smart, user-friendly fixtures such as thermostatic mixers, and touch screen-operated showers that control water flow, mix and temperature.
- Matte Finishes: An alternative to the high gloss finishes of recent years, matte paints and finishes are in vogue now, complementing the evolution toward a more natural, organic look. A matte finish brings a raw edge of authenticity to a texture, revealing its natural imperfections.
- Mosaic Wood Tiles: Mosaic wood tiles are eco-friendly, made from reclaimed wood, unique and easy to install. They’re a great alternative to wallpaper, adding texture and depth to any accent wall.
- Mirrored Glass Tiles: Look for mirrored tiles strategically used in small bathrooms and accent walls to give the illusion of a bigger space and interesting lighting effects.
- Handmade Items: Handmade items are a big trend for 2015. From hand painted tiles to crocheted throw rugs and hand woven baskets, handmade accessories add a personalized touch to any space.
Take a look at our Pinterest board for beautiful examples of 2015’s most intriguing trends. (And please follow us while you’re there!) If you are inspired to give one of these trends a try in your whole home remodel, our unified team of architects, designers and construction professionals can help you explore ways to incorporate trends in a way that is uniquely your own.