GREEN Home REMODELING San Diego
When planning a remodel, one of the first decisions you will make is how to incorporate green building practices into your project. Green building strategies help to preserve the environment for future generations and make life in your home more comfortable and healthy today. JDR is committed to green design. San Diego projects we have completed unite award-winning design aesthetics with the latest innovations in green building to create home environments that are healthy, efficient and beautiful. Our Design and Production teams are Certified Green Professionals who will expertly guide you through this decision-making process.
Together, we can make a difference.
What is Green?
First, we define what “green” really means in green design and green remodeling. Green building is a comprehensive approach that:
- Conserves natural resources.
- Uses water and energy wisely for long-term savings.
- Uses healthy products and incorporates sustainable materials.
- Improves indoor environmental quality.
- Builds high quality, durable structures.
- Reduces and recycles construction and demolition waste.
- Facilitates ease of responsible use and maintenance.
- Creates livable, vibrant communities.
During each stage of your project, the Jackson Design and Remodeling team will advise you on appropriate ways to integrate green components. We’ll help you choose which are right for your home and your family.
This list and the graphic above gives you an idea of the many options available to you when choosing Green Components for your remodeling project.
Green Components for Your Remodeling
Building Shape and Orientation, including roof style and overhang details, can be designed to respond to sun angles for passive solar design and to prevailing breezes for natural ventilation.
Dimensional Planning, for material efficiency, leads to reduced building costs and less material waste sent to landfills.
Multifunctional Space Planning allows for more than one activity per room. This saves on total square footage of building costs and long-term heating, cooling and electric bills.
Accessible/Universal Design extends the time you can use your home and allows aging loved-ones comfortable access and ease of use.
Existing Landscape Preservation allows mature trees and other landscape areas to be undisturbed whenever possible.
Materials, Products, and Systems
Many Green Materials, Products, and Systems are mandated by California Building Code and are currently being used in standard building practice. There are different manufacturers with countless options. JDR can help you sort through your choices to determine which is best for your home. Below is a partial list of available materials, products, and systems that our Green Structural Design Team will advise you about for your project:
- Energy Efficient Windows
- Engineered Lumber
- Radiant Barrier Plywood
- Thermal Insulation
- Vapor Barriers
- Moisture Protection/Vapor Barriers
- High Efficiency Light Fixtures
- High Efficiency Water Heaters
- Heating, Air Conditioning, and Air Quality Systems
- Low Flow Toilet and Shower Heads
- Point of Use Hot Water Heaters
- Recirculation of Centralized Hot Water Heaters
- Irrigation Systems and Drought Resistant Landscape
- Solar Powered exterior landscape lighting
Every finish material in your home has an impact on the environment. So how do you choose green interior finishes without your home looking like it belongs in Popular Mechanics? Our award-winning interior designers are experts in helping you select the right blend of materials throughout your home that are green, beautiful and healthy.
Building a project to pass code results in workmanship that only meets the minimum standards, or “a passing grade.” If green materials, products and systems are improperly installed, they will not serve the purpose they were designed for.
Jackson Design and Remodeling Green Building Practices surpass minimum standards and maximize the life span of your home. Our goal is to produce A+ Quality Craftsmanship at every phase of construction.
During our pursuit of building excellence we have established rigorous disciplines, during which we:
- Test for asbestos and/or lead-based materials prior to demolition to eliminate the risk of airborne contamination.
- Carefully remove and save used appliances, fixtures, or other materials to be donated to Habitat for Humanity.
- Build temporary walls or vapor barriers for dust control between livable areas of the home and areas under construction.
- Temporarily seal off all exposed mechanical ductwork.
- Create rope barriers to protect existing landscaping from foot traffic or accidental damage.
- Recycle allowable construction waste.
- Define on-site tool wash-out areas and install storm water pollution control devices.
- Perform a careful daily job site clean up.
- Strictly enforce a no-smoking policy on all JDR job sites.
- Ensure all phases of work are carefully inspected twice by the JDR Project Manager and Production Manager.
Now that your remodeling project is done, how do you keep your green home green? Proper maintenance and care are essential to responsible home ownership. Throughout your project, JDR will advise you on the best practices for living in your home with environmental consciousness.
There are also many resources available online for green living education.
Here are just a few ideas to start:
- Review new product manuals for proper use and care.
- Change HVAC air filters per manufacturer’s recommendations.
- Change light bulbs to LED wherever possible.
- Adjust thermostats to energy-saving settings while at home. Use a programmable thermostat to set the temperatures at less comfortable levels when you’re not home or sleeping.
- Keep windows open for fresh air and ventilation.
- Repair chalk joints at areas of water penetration.
- Plant drought resistant landscaping.
- Direct landscape sprinkler heads away from the building perimeter.
- Make sure attics are properly ventilated.
- Remove all toxic liquids from your garage and storage rooms.
- Switch to nontoxic cleaning products.
- Use low VOC paints and finishes.
- Visit your local greenhouse, and purchase a tree to shade your home to save on cooling costs.
Visit Our Design Campus
The Premier Kitchen & Bathroom Showroom and Selection Center in San Diego
Learn about the latest trends in design build as you see and touch examples of the design sense, craftsmanship and thoughtful client care that go into all of our work.
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pm
10:00am - 2:00pm