San Diego Garage Conversion Addition
Often overlooked as an alternative to building an addition, a garage conversion could be exactly what you need when you’re running out of room in your house or want to add to your lifestyle with new surroundings.
Garage Conversion Addition
Often overlooked as an alternative to building an addition, a garage conversion could be exactly what you need when you’re running out of room in your house or want to add to your lifestyle with new surroundings. A garage remodel can add value, curb appeal, and that comfortable, livable, extra space you’ve been dreaming about. It is important to take certain factors into consideration before making a final decision: You’ll want to give some thought to whether or not the extra space you’ll gain will outweigh the lack of protected parking. And, take an honest look at how much you’re currently using your garage for storage, how it will feel to let go of that option, and if you’ll need to declutter or find other storage alternatives.
Garage conversions aren’t just for workshops anymore. Some are a more modern take on a workshop, such as a hobby room or an art studio, while other uses run the gamut from extra living space for families with teens, to playrooms for families with young children, to home offices, gyms, guest suites, media rooms, or yoga/meditation studios. In San Diego, garage conversions are also often designed and built as accessory dwelling units, which can increase your home’s value while adding an independent, self-sufficient home to your property.
Before you begin the process of planning a garage conversion addition, it’s essential to research the permitting requirements in your area. You’ll also need to have your garage evaluated by experts to determine what adjustments may be necessary for heating and cooling, plumbing, and electrical. While always necessary, this is especially critical if you’re planning to use your garage as an ADU.
Garage Conversion Contractor
It’s important to do some research and ask friends and family for referrals before choosing a contractor for your garage remodel. While converting a garage can sometimes be a less expensive way to add extra living space to your home, it’s still a major remodeling project that requires experience and skill. When you’re investing in a remodel, you want to be sure that the finished product will add to the value of your home, not detract from it. The best way to ensure that outcome is by working with professional architects and designers who will focus on both the interior and exterior of your garage conversion to achieve a seamless look and feel with your existing home.
Converting a Garage into Functional Space
Visualizing how you want to use your new garage space is an exciting prospect. Professional contractors guide you through the elements essential to a successful result. Some of these include:
- Flooring: Typically the garage floor needs to be raised to the level of your home’s floor for safety and visual balance. After the floor is raised, there are a myriad of beautiful options for flooring, whether you want to align with your current home’s design or give the garage its own flooring design signature.
- Garage door: Will the garage door remain as is or be replaced? Some people like leaving it in place to allow for the option of indoor/outdoor access in summer months. A designer can help you explore your options to find the one right for you, and for the purposes of your new space.
- Heating, Cooling & Insulation: Critical for full enjoyment of the space, this aspect of your garage conversion can be fairly straightforward or somewhat complicated, depending on the original construction of your garage. It may be possible to extend systems from your home into your garage – an expert evaluation is highly recommended before you begin planning your remodel.
- Natural Light and Lighting Design: Garages aren’t typically designed with light in mind. If you’re converting your space into living space, you’ll want to address this in the new design with windows, doors, and skylights, as well as careful consideration of layering lighting for different purposes.
Navigating San Diego’s Building Requirements/Potential Challenges
When you’re building room additions in San Diego, you’ll want to be certain to follow all the necessary zoning regulations, along with licensing and permitting requirements. Restrictions can be based on where the addition will be built and how close to property lines, along with guidelines for maximum heights, fire safety, brush management, a historic review and a host of other considerations.
This can feel like a daunting part of the remodeling process and it’s one of reasons why working with an experienced remodeling firm is worth the investment. Contractors who have planned and completed hundreds of projects understand where to go for answers, how to move the process along as quickly as possible, and where your project might run into potential roadblocks. This sometimes painful but definitely necessary part of the remodeling process is much less painful than the consequences of not getting it right, which can include:
- Hefty fines and/or the expense of insurance not covering completed work
- Lengthy delays in the workflow
- Modifying or removing work that has already been done
A garage conversion gives you the extra space you crave and also allows you to “start from square one” in many ways to create your personal vision. If you’ve been looking for a way to express your creativity at home, or make a space that inspires and delights you, this kind of remodel offers satisfaction in a relatively short period of time. It can also be an excellent investment for your home and accommodate intergenerational living in an imaginative and practical way.
If you’re considering a garage conversion addition, contact the experts at Jackson Design and Remodeling for a free consultation.
Visit Our Design Campus
The Premier Kitchen & Bathroom Showroom and Selection Center in San Diego
Learn about the latest trends in design build as you see and touch examples of the design sense, craftsmanship and thoughtful client care that go into all of our work.
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pm