Room Additions San Diego
Renovating your home is a significant undertaking calling for careful thought, research and planning that can sometimes feel overwhelming. But often even more overwhelming is the prospect of selling your home, buying another home, and moving out of a neighborhood you’ve grown to love.
When faced with this decision because of changing life circumstances, a room addition can be the ideal solution. Whether you’re welcoming a new family member, dreaming of a master suite oasis, or dedicating new sq. footage to a hobby or workshop, you’ll get the space you need without the stress and uncertainty of leaving the familiar. If you’re planning to sell your home in the years to come, it’s important to consider not just your existing lifestyle needs but also how the addition will appeal to future home buyers. While home additions do generally increase the value of your home, much depends on the quality of the design and construction. Updating your existing home requires room addition design knowledge and architectural expertise to assure a seamless appeal inside and outside. Poor construction or badly executed design could end up achieving the opposite. The most impactful room additions are a skillful balance of space planning, architectural detail, and beautiful, durable materials.
Thoroughly Assessing Your Space Needs
Any successful major remodeling project starts with a thorough understanding of what your needs are and how a remodel can help meet those needs. Sometimes when our house starts to feel too small, we’re not sure exactly why – we just feel cramped and disorganized. As you begin to consider your remodeling project, take some time to pay attention each day to what is working in your home, what feels frustrating, and how extra space could change your daily life. Think about how much space you need and how you want it to look, feel, and function. Before you meet with a contractor, you’ll want to have some answers about what you hope to achieve with your new space.
Selecting the Best Contractor
Although it’s just “one room” a room addition is a major remodeling project with a substantial investment of time and budget. Finding the right room addition contractor is essential for a remodeling process that will be on-time, on-budget, and relatively stress-free. Here are some tips to keep in mind:
- First things first: Make sure you’re allowing enough time to take your project from idea to completion. The best contractors will be scheduled out months in advance. You don’t want to end up choosing a contractor mostly because they were the “best” that was also available within a short time frame. When you have enough time in advance for research and planning, you’re bound to make the best choices about who to work with.
- Ask around: Word-of-mouth is still the best way to find a remodeler that you can trust. While a company’s website, social media, testimonials, and other marketing can be informative, there’s nothing like hearing directly from a friend or family member that they had an excellent experience with a particular contractor.
- Stability is key: If a contractor has built their business over decades and has multiple projects and client testimonials attesting to the quality of their service and performance over the years, this is obviously a big “green light” especially for a home addition project when trust and reliability are critical.
- Professional communication: Pay attention to the professionalism of the communications you receive from a potential remodeler, particularly the timeline estimates and budgets. The best contractors will have a realistic assessment of what it will take to complete your project, and they’ll present it to you in an easy to understand format.
- What you see is what you get: Take time to carefully review the portfolios of any contractors you’re considering to get a feel for their design style, the scale of projects they work on, and their attention to detail.
- The fine print: It’s critical to work with a company that holds all the licenses, insurance, and other credentials necessary for your project and neighborhood. Skipping the research on this step could lead to unnecessary and expensive issues down the line.
Navigating San Diego’s Building Requirements/Potential Challenges
When you’re building room additions in San Diego, you’ll want to be certain to follow all the necessary zoning regulations, along with licensing and permitting requirements. Restrictions can be based on where the addition will be built and how close to property lines, along with guidelines for maximum heights, fire safety, brush management, a historic review and a host of other considerations.
This can feel like a daunting part of the remodeling process and it’s one of reasons why working with an experienced remodeling firm is worth the investment. Contractors who have planned and completed hundreds of projects understand where to go for answers, how to move the process along as quickly as possible, and where your project might run into potential roadblocks. This sometimes painful but definitely necessary part of the remodeling process is much less painful than the consequences of not getting it right, which can include:
- Hefty fines and/or the expense of insurance not covering completed work
- Lengthy delays in the workflow
- Modifying or removing work that has already been done
A room addition can add years of enjoyment to your home and increase its value. With an approach based on research, good timing, and expert professionals you can find the room to expand you need without the disruption of moving from your neighborhood.
Visit Our Design Campus
The Premier Kitchen & Bathroom Showroom and Selection Center in San Diego
Learn about the latest trends in design build as you see and touch examples of the design sense, craftsmanship and thoughtful client care that go into all of our work.
Monday - Friday
8:00am - 4:30pm